Enrollment with Apple Configurator 2
If Apple Business Manager is not available in your country or region, you can use Apple Configurator 2 to deploy your devices using Supervised Mode along with the MDM solution. With AC2, you can prepare the iPhone devices, supervise them and require user authentication after device enrollment.
Important note: Enrollment with Apple Configurator 2 is available for iPhone and iPad devices, as well as for Apple TVs. The Apple Configurator 2 application only runs on Mac Computers, and can be downloaded from the App Store for free.
Follow the steps below to enroll devices using Apple Configurator 2:
- From "Organization", navigate to “Enrollment” under the Basic Setup area on the left and select "Apple Configurator 2". Click "+ Add new profile" and follow the instructions.
- 2. Enter the name of the profile and select the dropdown menu for model options: 1:1 users or Shared iPad Carts.
- 3. Next, choose the assignment method: “After the enrollment demand the user authentication”: which will require users to enter their credentials in order to log into the Mosyle Business application to complete the enrollment process. “After the enrollment allow device usage”: use the Assign Devices feature to upload the spreadsheet that will automatically assign the devices to specific users.
- Select the location and click "Save" when finished.
- Mosyle will provide you with the Enrollment URL that will be required within Apple Configurator 2 in order to enroll the iPads.
Preparing devices using Apple Configurator 2
- On your Mac, open the Apple Configurator 2 app and plug your iPad devices into the Mac. Select the devices and click "Prepare” from the menu along the top.
- Choose "Manual configuration", and click "Next". On the next screen you will choose to enroll in a New Server and click "Next".
- The next screen will show the trust anchor certificates associated with the Mosyle Business MDM. Click "Next". Following this prompt, you'll see the option to Supervise devices. If your devices are school-owned, we recommend to select Supervise. Read our article to learn more about the Supervision process.
- Select the option "Allow devices to pair with other computers". If you check this option, users will not be able to connect the device to any other computer aside from the one currently being used to prepare the devices. Then, click "Next".
- Enter information about your Organization - we recommend using the name of your organization. Click "Next".
- Choose "Generate a new supervision identity" and click "Next".
- The last screen shows the Setup Assistant steps you can skip after the device restarts. Using the dropdown menu, choose the steps you would like to skip. We recommend that you do not skip Location Services.
- When finished, click "Prepare". The devices will be wiped, the iOS version will be updated, and they will be supervised and enrolled in the Mosyle Business MDM.
To assign the devices you enrolled using the Apple Configurator 2 method, you can use the Assign Devices feature as well as the User Authentication method according to the authentication method you chose during the configuration of the profile.
Important note:If enrolling macOS devices with macOS 10.13 or earlier, you should manually enroll the device and then upgrade them. If enrolling Macs with macOS 10.13 or later, you should manually enroll the device. The user must approve the enrollment.